Wednesday 28 February 2024

Marinara Sauce with Linguine

I watched YT Vinzenso's Plate again. He is showing traditional Italian recipes.  I cooked some of them already and they were good. 



Marinara sauce is not as common here in Germany as it is in the USA. You wont get it in large jars here either. Since I am no fan of ready made pasta sauces, the basic recipe is more to my liking.



The only thing I did not have this time of the year is the fresh Oregano. My plant on the balcony is still dormant in winter. I used the dried stuff. Fresh basil is widely available in all supermarkets and I have a pot on the windowsill.



There are no onions in this sauce, just a good amount of garlic. Good quality date tomatoes from a can were used as the main component of this sauce. Just a bit crushed.



Recipe for 1:

120 g linguine or spaghetti

1 can of date tomatoes or others

3 tbsp olive oil

3 garlic cloves minced

Salt and pepper

Dried or fresh oregano, fresh basil

Some chili flakes (optional)

Grana Padano cheese

Peel the garlic and use a garlic press to get it in the medium hot oil. Fry until fragrant. Use a little water (clean out the tomato can) to prevent the garlic from burning. Crush the tomatoes a bit and pour them in the pan. Season with salt, pepper and lots of oregano.



Start the pasta and during this time cook the sauce. Drain the pasta and save some pasta water. Put the pasta in the Marinara sauce and add a bit more oregano and fresh basil.

Add enough pasta water to finish the dish. Serve with Grana Padano.





No comments:

Post a Comment