Thursday 22 February 2024

Ube Jam Cake

Experimental baking! No recipe, a couple of miscellaneous ingredients and only an idea. A 50: 50 chance to fail.



But it went surprisingly well. I had some premade shortcrust pastry sitting in the fridge. I looked for a topping and jam was my next idea. Since I organized my storage cupboard the beginning of the week, I knew there were several jars of jam to use. One of them was Ube jam. I bought that online for a recipe I never made.



I opened the jar and tasted it. Coconut flavoured sweetness. Not much yams or sweet potato to taste. But a good base on a shortcrust pastry. I spread most of the jam from the jar on top the the pastry. 



But what next? I stuck my head in the fridge and found curd on the top shelves. A little over the expiration date, but what are 4 days anyway. A small can of already opened sweetened condensed milk was next that caught my eye. No additional sugar needed. Just some flavouring, eggs and starch.




Baking at 170 C for 40 min.

Ingredients:

1 square readymade shortcrust pastry

250 g Ube jam

250 g curd, 1 egg, 1 egg yolk

30 g sweetened condensed milk, sweet spice mix, 1 tsp vanilla extract

1 heaped tsp potato starch



No comments:

Post a Comment