Sunday 29 May 2016

Leek, Meatballs and Mini Potatoes

The first food I cooked in my rented apartment in Reykjavik took some time to get started.

All Icelandic produce!
Checking all the cupboards for pots and pans, kitchen utensils and so on took a while. I kept todays lunch fairly simple. Meatballs are always a good start, but I had to compromise at the breadcrumbs, well I hadn´t any, so I used local rye sourdough bread and crumbled it in my hand. It gave a unique texture but a wonderful taste to the meatballs -pure iceland beef- btw.

I was looking for Iceland grown vegetables and found some leek and very tiny red potatoes. But for such tiny ones, they did take a lot of time to cook!

The leek was just cooked with a bit of garlic in some olive oil, a bay leaf added, some salt and pepper and then some cream. For a bit of taste a teespoon mild curry powder. It gave also a nice colour.

recipe for the meatballs:
500 g beef mince
2 shallots
3 cloves of garlic
1 slice moist rye sourdough bread
1 egg
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, herbes de Provence, celery seed, nutmeg
olive oil

recipe for the leek:
1 leek cut into half rings
1 clove of garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp olive oil
60 ml cream
1 tsp mild curry powder
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment