Sunday 6 January 2019

Espuma from pickled juice of gherkins

I watched "Come dine with me" in the German version last week. Three chefs and a companion each had the chance to cook for 5000 € for Charity. It was fun to watch.

One thing I saw was from a Michellin star chef, who worked on that level for 20 years and 2017 quit.
He had a huge jug of pickled gherkins and poured the juice through a sieve into a container. He mixed it with gelatine and filled it into the Izzy whip for later. It was served on top of one of his starters.


Last night I ate the last 3 gherkins out of a medium jar and was just about to drain the remains in the sink, when the idea hit me to try the Espuma.


I have the Izzy whip for a several years now and it took me a long time to make friends with it. But for a while now I can operate it and it works.


Recipe:
300 ml pickled gherkin juice
1 leaf gelatine

Pour the juice through a fine sieve so that it is clear of gherkin remains.
Soak the gelatine leaf in cold water for 5 min. Squeeze the water out.
In a small pot heat up the gelatine on low heat until it is dissolved and add the pickled juice. Mix well and fill up the Izzy WHIP.
1 zylinder is enough. Shake well and put in the fridge.

Press on a cold plate or bowl or on cold food. The Espuma will stand for several minutes. The one up in the pink bowl stood for 12 min.
Press on a hot plate or on warm food, it is gone in 2-3 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment