Monday 28 January 2019

Lentilles à la graisse d'oie or lentils in goose fat

It sounds gross, but it is delicious.


I ate them with more grease, as in bacon and a good helping of pasta.


When I did my grocery shopping trip to France a week ago, I found a can with lentils just in the right size for two portions. I only saw the picture of the brown lentils and some veggies and tossed it in the shopping cart.
In Swabia they eat lentils with some veggies with some handmade pasta -Spaetzle. If they splurch, they add some Wieners to the dish.


I did not have Wieners but a package of bacon strips. These in a pan with some onions, was my way the eat Swabian food.

I prepared the bacon and the onions and went to open the can. That was the moment when I started to read what was written on the label.

My French food wise is relatively solid. Sometimes I have some little problems. But "graisse" was not lost in translation, that means Fat.
The type of bird had me struggle just a bit, Duck is canard and Oie is ...... goose. Lentils made with goose fat. That sounded a bit strange at first.
Then I opened the can and it looked like a thick soup with veggies and stock. I poured it in the pan with the bacon and added fresh cooked pasta.

A little research later showed, that these kind of lentil dish is a speciality of the south west of France. An area, where Foie gras is produced. So a little goose grease goes well with other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment