Monday 21 January 2019

Gin Mussels

From my grocery shopping spree I came back with a 2 liters pack of mussels from the Netherlands.


There are so many ways to prepare them and I wanted to make them the Northern way.
Ususally that would mean Aquavit, a caraway seed based clear spirit with at least 37,5 % alc.


I do not have this kind at home and I do not like it- but, I have Gin at home. It turned out just great and it was an unknown way to have a huge bowl of mussels.


And I have to say, I felt a little drunk after my dinner. I drank the Fewer tree Tonic water after the meal.


recipe for 2:
2 l mussels - about 1,4 kg
2 potatoes
1 apple
1 white onion
2 tbsp butter
40 ml water
salt and pepper
3 tbsp parsley
100 ml Gin


Peel the potatoes and core the apple, but keep the skin on. Peel the onion.
It needs to get soft soon, so tiny cubes, less then 1 cm is needed.
Melt the butter in a big pot and toss all cubes in. Stir and saute them with the lid closed for 5 min, then add the water and cook an other 5 min. Season.

Clean the mussels and throw away the open or broken ones.
Pour then in the pot and stir well to get them all coated in the veggies.
Chuck in the Gin and close the lid.
The alcohol steams them open fast. It will take about 3 min. Open the lid and shake well until all are open. Throw out the ones which are still closed. Sprinkle the parsley on top.

Enjoy with some bread to dip in the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment