Friday 11 June 2021

Eaton Mess with Strawberries

Yesterday I was "overrun" with strawberries. On my way back from work I purchased some green asparagus at the local shack. They sell strawberries too. I took one box of them too. While talking to the old nice lady behind the counter and waiting for the goods to be packed, she asked me if she could give me a gift.



That gift was an other large box of strawberries. She had collected them out of the others and told me they were not fit to sell to customers. I should check them and use the ones that were good. It was about 750 g of strawberries! I only had to throw 3 away. I just cut off some spots or mushy parts. And I had a feast eating.



My doorbell rung and my neighbor with her two kids were outside presenting me a big bowl of freshly picked strawberries. She was out with the kids at an self picking field. In about 45 min they picked more than 5 kilos of strawberries. 



I tried just a couple of them and the rest went into the fridge.

I have learned about the dessert Eaton Mess from Sortedfood. They have made a video a couple of years ago. Now it is my time. The Merengue drops have been sitting here since Easter. I had no idea what do prepare with the rest in the open package.

Recipe for 4:

400 g strawberries, 75 ml Creme de Cassis liqueur, 2 hands full of merengue

3 tsp icing sugar, 200 ml double cream, 250 g curd, 3 tsp strawberry Pink Gin Jam

1/4 tsp Zest of some lemon, 50 g almond flakes toasted, sprig of mint


Wash and hull the strawberries and cut them into small chunks. Macerate them in Cassis liqueur for 30 min.

Beat the cream with icing sugar into soft peaks, mix it with the curd. Add zest and jam and swirl it around.

Crush the merengue between your hands and mix them into the cream. Fill into jars with the the strawberries in layers. Top with toasted almonds and a sprig of mint.


No comments:

Post a Comment