Thursday 24 June 2021

Peach crumble vegan

I love a good cake with a thick buttery crumble on top. I have to say the same about a crumble.  



Today I cooked and baked at my friends house. After work we met there and I started with a pizza dough for lunch later. She wanted me to bake a chocolate cake.  Not a huge problem for me. But this cake should not contain butter. She is lactose intolerant and does not eat butter. I used vegetable oil instead.



She bought a whole lot of large fresh peaches. Way too much to eat for one person in a short amount of time. I was asked to use some of them for a dessert. I am a huge fan of peach crumble. After I came up with the idea, I realized still no butter in the fridge. She showed me the vegan soy margerine she is using instead. Still a bit solid and it looked as if it would work.  



My friend hates cinnamon. She does not have any at home. But I found a bottle with a tiny bit of liqueur left on her counter. The label said Cinnamon and Gold Leave liqueur. I dumped it into the pot with the peaches. But a crumble without a bit of spice is boring. A huge tea rack with lots of different tea sachets caught my eyes. Orange and Ginger sounded good. I used the finely ground tea to season my crumble.

CRUMBLE

120 g vegan soy margerine, 40 g oats, 90 g flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp orange ginger tea leaves, 120 g sugar, pinch of salt

FRUITS

6 peaches, 5 tbsp peach juice, 3 tbsp cinnamon gold liqueur, 1 tsp corn starch 1 tbsp water

Preheat the oven 180C.



Peel the peaches and cut them into bit size chunks. In a small pot heat up the peach juice and the liqueur with the peaches and let them cook until softened. Make a starch slurry and bind the liquid. Put on a plate to cool a bit, then pour into an oven proof dish.

Use a food processor and make the crumble. Pop some small chunks all over the peaches.

Put in the oven for 30 min.



My friend liked it a lot. It was her first crumble. I thought that the peaches were tasty.

The crumble looked good and you would not have guessed that it was a vegan dish.

BUT I was no fan of the crumble topping. The soy taste was too dominant for me and the texture was too soft. I prefer the butter version.




No comments:

Post a Comment