Thursday 7 January 2021

Cabbage and Gammon Stew

Lots of cabbage and a good piece of Gammon are waiting for me.  



New year eve and new years day have left some food in my fridge. I needed the cabbage for the Gyoza Nabe and the Gammon for the Bechamel and Vinegar Potatoes. For portion control leave some food in the pot to eat on an other day or use up in a different way.



The cabbage stew has a long tradition in my family. Mostly made with beef mince or bacon bits.But sometimes just with the protein my Mom had in the fridge. Gammon was often used in our family kitchen.

To prepare this dish, not much was needed. The Gammon was already cooked. It just had to be cut up into bite size chunks and was waiting on the side for the last 5 min of cooking time to heat through in the stew.

I like to chop my cabbage by hand with a knife. Others use a slicer or even an electric helper. All that is fine by me. I needed some onion and potatoes to go with it. A very important seasoning is caraway seed. It helps to digest the cabbage and it gives a very distinctive flavour. A good veg stock is needed too.



Ingredients:

500 g cabbage, 2 onions, 4 small to medium potatoes

1 tsp caraway seed, 1 tsp salt and pepper, oil 

150 ml veg stock, 225 g Gammon cooked

Put some oil in a pot and heat it. Wash the shredded cabbage and toss it in the pot. Season with salt and pepper and add the caraway seeds.

On top goes the potato chunks and onion slices. pour in the stock and bring to a boil.  Close the lid and reduce the heat to medium. After 5 min use a wooden spoon and stir well. Close the lid again and cook for 20 min. Add the cubed Gammon and reheat it for 5 min. Done.



No comments:

Post a Comment