Friday 17 May 2024

Turkish Sour Plum -Yesil Erik

I shopped at my local Turkish supermarket again. When I see something I have not seen before, I need to learn about it and try it.



A basket full of punnets with green round fruits caught my eye. No sign above it, no sticker on the punnets, just the name of the farmer. 



I asked the cashier and the only thing he told me: women in Turkey love them and his wife is an absolute fan of them. He hates eating them because they are sour and bitter.



I took a punnet to give them a try. They reminded me of Reneclauden, a special kind of yellow plum. When I took a bite at home, these plums were very astringend and difficult to get off the pith. I ate two and decided to give cooking them a try.



They are native to Anatolia, a part of Turkey. The German name here is Kirschpflaume (Cherryplum).

Recipe for Compote:

150 g green Yesil Erik

150 ml water mixed with apple juice

50 ml Vanilla liqueur

2 tbsp agave syrup

1/2 tsp salted caramel powder

Wash the plums and put them in the pot without taking the stone out. Pour in the liquids and keep the caramel for later.



Cook the plums on medium heat for 10 to 15 min. Poke some holes in the skin with a sharp knife during cooking. Finish with salted caramel powder.

Now take the sharp knife and try to get the pith out. Store the fruits in the juice. Eat with some Turkish (Greek) yogurt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment