Saturday 30 December 2023

One Pot ground Beef and Cabbage

This is sooo good and reminds me a bit of my childhood.



My Mom used lots of cabbage and potatoes and a little ground pork and beef to make ends meet at the end of long month when money was scarse. This big pot of cabbage stew helped us and provided a couple of meals.



Later when I was older and we had more money, this stew was still close to our hearts. But now she used a lot more meat and a little less potatoes. 



I had about 750 g of pointed cabbage left over from my Okonomyaki waffle and wanted to use it up in one go. Minced beef was on offer this week, so I bought 500 g. I had some potatoes on their last leg, so the best ones went in the pot too. About 500 g.



To add some more flavour to the ground beef, I added a good amount of Toscana seasoning from my Advent calender to it. A blend of paprika and mediterranian herbs. Together with salt and pepper and a tbsp of caraway seeds it went well with the spicy paprika paste and basic tomato paste.

200 ml veg stock went in as liquid. 

Ingredientslisting:

500 g ground beef, 2 onions, 4 garlic cloves

Tuscan seasoning, salt, pepper

2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp hot paparika paste, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 200 ml veg stock from paste, 1tbsp caraway seeds

750 g shredded cabbage, 500 g cubed potatoes

On oil brown the seasoned beef and then add the onions and garlic. Give it 3 more min. Add both pastes and stir them well. Now follows the stock.



Put all shredded cabbage on top and now the potatoes, add caraway seeds and close the lid. Cook on medium heat for 6 min, now stir very well. Close the lid again and cook on low for 25 min. Check if potatoes are done and if it needs more seasoning.

It tastes great warmed up the next days.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment