Saturday 9 December 2023

Potato Pancakes or Latkes

Happy Chanukka!



When I realise the begin of Chanukka is around the corner, I think about potato pancakes.



I am not Jewish, but I love to celebrate food traditions from other cultures. I learned about this tradition many years ago and together with my parents ate these latkes on the first evening 



They are not eaten as a every day meal otherwise in Jewish households.



Now I still do it myself. Potato pancakes are eaten here in Germany year round. But better in the fall season and on all Christmas markets, because you will need "older" potatoes to begin with. They have lots more starch to bind the grated potatoes together. The new or fresh potatoes in spring wont work.

Ingredients:

500 g potatoes

1 yellow onion, 1 garlic clove(optional)

1 egg, 2 tbsp potato starch

Salt, pepper, nutmeg, caraway seeds

plain oil for panfrying

Applesauce

I peeled the potatoes and the onion and dropped them in the Thermomix. Grate them on a box grater (as my Dad always did) and you'll be fine.



Press the liquid out over a bowl and let the water sit for a couple of minutes. Drain the water and scrape out the remaing starch deposit on the bottom. Add that with the potato starch, the egg, garlic and seasoning to the grated mix.



Use a large pan and a good amount of oil and drop a large spoon full of mix in the pan. Flatten it out and cook on medium high heat until the edges get a little crispy. Flip and cook the other side.

Drain on kitchen paper and serve with applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment